Monday, October 16, 2006

School time


This is the school that we visited. They need more classrooms to accomidate the 4000 students that attend. The U.S. will pay for such projects that help the community as a whole, it helps to stablize the area and makes it rough for the Taliban or Alqueda to get any support.

I watched the vehicles while the rest went in and did the negociations, there is also a bridge that is going to be built for the village. I watched the hills after one of the more stupider boys that was leaving for the day decided to fire a bottle rocket that exploded over head (he almost got lit up) not to bright but maybe he was the village idiot, every village has one sometimes they get into power like Governor's and such.


The girls come to school in the afternoon. There are almost 2000 of them that attend. The school classroom is only three sets of windows big in the building and its not that big of a building. Most attend school in shifts so they can attend and still help at home where the locals feel that they should be. For the most part the girls come in black attaire with a white head scarf covering their hair and sometimes their faces. Occasionaly you will see an older girl wearing a blue burka. I did see a girl wearing a bright red scarf and one with a white one that sparkled in the sun, but for the most part they all just try to not bring attention to themselves. Side note one of the more braver girls came by my truck and asked for chocolate in english, wish I had some to give out but had to smile and tell her that I did not have any. To bad they dont like black licerice.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Man....I pulled some pranks when I was a kid, but I never shot bottle rockets at armored vehicles. We always shot them at the officers riding in convertibles. Everyone knows you shouldn't mess with Sargeant Dougal.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Kanien said...

Nice pictures. That will be so much nicer for them to have more classrooms. We sure miss ya! Love ya!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Terry said...

that is a lot of kids - it looks like there isn't anything around the school - how far do they have to walk? should I send you some chocolate so you can give them some? Love Terry

8:55 AM  
Blogger Granpa Dann said...

If you send chocolate to me, it might not make it to them, I have been craving it lately and the PX does not stock any chocolate at all that I can find. There is no grass to speak of and lots of mud huts on both sides of the highway, its always busy with kids when we drive past the area. PS did I mention chocolate?

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home